Feb 24 2014, 3:26am CST | by Bang Showbiz
CNN have axed 'Piers Morgan Live'.
The news network have confirmed the nightly show - which was previously known as 'Piers Morgan Tonight' - is coming to an end after over three years, though the exact date of the final program is yet to be determined.
The British presenter told the New York Times newspaper he and CNN president Jeff Zucker had discussed the future of the program last week and decided to cancel it following "painful" ratings, which he believes is due to a failure to "connect" with American people.
He said:"It's been a painful period and lately we have taken a bath in the ratings.
"Look, I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarizing, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it. That's run its course and Jeff and I have been talking for some time about different ways of using me."
The former 'America's Got Talent' judge is hoping to stay with the network in a show that is "better suited" to his skills.
He added: "I think I can credibly do news and the ratings reflect that, but it is not really the show that I set out to do. There are all kinds of people who can do news here.
"I'd like to do work - interviews with big celebrities and powerful people - that is better suited to what I do well and fit with what Jeff is trying to do with the network."
Piers, 48, began hosting 'Piers Morgan Tonight' in January 2011, with the show changing its name in March 2013.
A replacement for his 9pm weeknightly slot has yet to be announced.
Source: Bang Showbiz
BANG Showbiz is the world's premier entertainment news agency providing the most exciting celebrity news to online, print and broadcast media outlets across the globe.
blog comments powered by Disqus