Block analogue channels: Kolkata cable operators

Kolkata, Jan 29 (IANS) Complete digitisation of cable TV will not be possible in the city until and unless all analogue channels are blocked, Kolkata's cable operators say.

Jan 29 2013, 7:05am CST | by

Block analogue channels: Kolkata cable operators
Photo Credit: DIBYANGSHU SARKAR, Getty Images

Kolkata, Jan 29 — Complete digitisation of cable TV will not be possible in the city until and unless all analogue channels are blocked, Kolkata's cable operators say.

"The main problem that remains is that there are still some channels running on analogue cable and unless they are blocked from beaming, 100 percent digitisation will not be possible," said Swapan Chowdhury, convener of the cable operators digitisation committee of the Association of Cable Operators in the city.

According to Chowdhury, all the channels have been made available in the digital mode via set-top boxes but around five to 10 channels are still being beamed on analogue cable by the multi-system operators or MSOs of the city.

"As long as there are a few channels still being shown in the analogue format by city MSOs, a small section of consumers will wait it out till the last moment (when no analogue channels are shown) before acquiring a set-top box. We need the state government to issue an order for barring analogue cable soon for that to happen," explained Chowdhury.

So far 70 to 72 percent consumers have installed set-top boxes but the remaining are yet to take the initiative.

"In a meeting with state Urban Development Minister Firhad Hakim Monday, all city based cable operators and MSOs have forwarded a proposal for ordering complete blocking of analogue channels by Feb 1," he said.

"He (the minister) is supposed to collect all reports on the matter and will take a decision based on the reports. As far as the MSOs are concerned, almost all of them are ready to shut down analogue signal by the designated date," added Chowdhury.

IANS

Source: IANS

 
 
 

<a href="/latest_stories/all/all/8" rel="author">Luigi Lugmayr</a>
Luigi is the founding Chief Editor of I4U News and brings over 15 years experience in the technology field to the ever evolving and exciting world of gadgets. He started I4U News back in 2000 and evolved it into vibrant technology magazine.
Luigi can be contacted directly at ml@i4u.com. Luigi posts regularly on LuigiMe.com about his experience running I4U.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest stories

Beyonce Goes Nude at Met Gala 2015
Beyonce Goes Nude at Met Gala 2015
Beyonce sizzles on the red carpet of the Met Gala 2015 in New York in a sheer gown.
 
 
Met Gala 2015 Worst Dressed List is Topped by Miley Cyrus
Met Gala 2015 Worst Dressed List is Topped by Miley Cyrus
The Met Gala 2015 had celebrities walk amazing dresses on the red carpet, but some of them failed to impress. Here are the 2015 Met Gala's worst dressed
 
 
Crime and Mystery Writer Ruth Rendell Dies at 85
Crime and Mystery Writer Ruth Rendell Dies at 85
The author wrote 60 novles novels in her career but was best known for her Inspector Wexford series
 
 
Julianna Margulies Receives a Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
Julianna Margulies Receives a Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
Her career includes three Emmys and eight Screen Actor Guild Awards alongside 10 Emmy nominations for the best actress